Staying Humble


When I was a kid, I was fond of indulging myself in the game of snakes and ladders. It was such a simple and beautiful game.  Just a small piece of cardboard having numbers 1 to 100 and adorned with colorful snakes and yellow colored ladders placed randomly at different locations. 

The board game was filled with various sizes of ladders as well as snakes – some very lengthy and others very short. Most of the snakes looked funny however I’ve to admit some were scary!  
Snakes and Ladders board game

Just this board, a few markers (for individual players) and a pair of dice were all the stuff required to get me engaged. Going up the ladders made me happy but at the same time, sliding down the body of venom less snakes disappointed me. 
Nevertheless I continued to play and eventually reach the end. After a while I would start yet another game! 
Now, grown up, I still have a passion for this amazing board game. But looking from a different perspective, I’ve also realized that life itself is a board filled with snakes and ladders. 
When I achieve a feat, I gain happiness. On the contrary, when I encounter failure I feel saddened. Life is a mixture of ups and downs, crests and troughs. 
We should discern that irrespective of one’s position, either at the top of a hill or at the bottom of a pit, one should stay modest. 
Because we never know what lies just ahead of us – it may be a tall ladder that would take us to great heights or a snake that would make us descend and stoop low!

 

© 2015-2016 Perspectives of abstractness. All rights resevered. Designed by Templateism

Back To Top